Ginning Up Cocktail Romance
How to convey love, adventure, travel, romance in a cocktail? Roses, exotic spices, unexpected ingredients like fennel and charming stemmed glassware were some of the props used to woo the judges of the recent Martin Miller's Gin Bartender Competition at Beaker & Gray in Wynwood. Bartenders were asked to create an original cocktail using Martin Miller's gin, either a fresh twist on an old classic or a new idea.
Judges Jaki Winkles of Kindred Spirits USA, Cricket Nelson of Edrington Americas and edible South Florida Tropical Tippling columnist Paula Echevarria looked for flavors, creativity and an imaginative presentation.
After deliberations, the votes were tallied. First place went to Philip Khanderish of The Setai, second to Mark Kinzer of Wynwood Diner and third to Kabir Akbani of Lure Fishbar. Khanderish and Kinzer move on to the state finals and a chance for a trip to Iceland.
- 17131 Miramar Parkway, Miramar
- 3439 N. Federal Hwy., Pompano Beach
- 678 N. Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale
- 20355 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura
- 1640 W. 49 St., Hialeah
- 11292 SR 84, Davie
- 539 W 49 St., Hialeah
- 1519 E Hallandale Beach Blvd., Hallandale
- 2760 N. Roosevelt Blvd, Key West
- 18310 SW 137 Ave., Miami
- 12095 SW 152 St., Miami
- 2111 SW 33 Ave., Miami
- 5598 W. Sample Rd., Margate
- 11245 SW 40 St., Miami
- 963 N. Nob Hill Rd., Plantation