No Straw, Please!
How did we decide we needed to use straws for our drinks, anyway?
Jacob Briars, global brand ambassador for Bacardi, says the idea dates back to the early 19th century. “In the 1830s, ice became commercially available for the very first time. What started to happen was that extremely cold drinks came up against 19th century teeth, and that was not a marriage made in heaven,” he says. “But it’s now the 21st century, and dentistry has significantly improved. Now we think it’s time to take a stand and stop using plastic straws altogether.”
Are you a restaurant?
• Commit to no plastic straws
• Give sustainable choices, such as paper, upon request only
• Use no Styrofoam or plastic to-go containers, utensils and tableware, and to-go bags
• Sign up to join miamiisnotplastic.org and get special pricing on alternative products and other benefits
Are you a consumer?
• Just tell your server or bartender: “No straw, please”
• Bring your environmentally friendly straw – stainless steel or paper – and reusable utensils
• Visit miamiisnotplastic.org
• Use #MiamiIsNotPlastic tag to build awareness
These are some of the businesses that work with #MiamiIsNotPlastic and/or Debris Free Oceans to reduce single-use plastics:
The Wynwood Yard