Celebrate cooler fall weather and the fresh bounty in the farmers markets by making a pot of soup. These easy recipes lend themselves to improvisation. Add a loaf of rustic bread, serve with an ass...
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, ﬁnely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into narrow strips
- Corn oil for frying
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup shredded cheese, if desired
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder and stir until fragrant. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is heated through.
Meanwhile, heat a thin layer of corn oil in small frying pan until sizzling. Add corn tortilla strips and fry until brown spots appear. Drain on paper towels.
Add lime juice to chicken soup, taste and season with salt. Ladle soup into warmed bowls, garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro and optional cheese, and serve immediately.