- 1 pound fresh hogfish, filleted and cubed with bloodline removed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh orange, peeled and cut into segments
- ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced into cucumber straws
- 20-25 fresh cilantro leaves
- Sweet potato for garnish
- Oil for frying
- Head and bones from hogfish
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- ½ lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½-inch piece fresh peeled ginger
- 2 oz. aji amarillo chile
- 3 oz. fish stock
- 3 oz. fresh orange juice
- 3 oz. fresh lime juice
Fish Stock: Place fish head and bones from hogfish filet into a pot with onion, celery, carrots, lemon, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover with water and gently simmer for about an hour. Reserve 3 oz. for the Tiger’s Milk.
Tiger's Milk: Blend celery, garlic, ginger and aji amarillo into a puree, then strain to remove pulp. Combine with fish stock and citrus juices and set aside.
Garnish: Use a mandolin to slice sweet potato into string-like pieces. Fry the sweet potato strings, drain and season to taste.
To serve: Toss fish gently with Tiger’s Milk, onion, orange segments and cucumber. Garnish with fried sweet potato and cilantro leaves.