Celebrate cooler fall weather and the fresh bounty in the farmers markets by making a pot of soup. These easy recipes lend themselves to improvisation. Add a loaf of rustic bread, serve with an ass...
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, ﬁnely chopped
- 2 carrots, ﬁnely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped in ½-inch dice
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock, if you prefer)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Add the stock and kale and cover. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until kale is tender. Stir in beans, heat through, and season to taste.