- ½ pound bacon
- 1 jumbo or 2 medium yellow onions, chopped (3 cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled, boiled, cooled, and diced
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a very large (12- or 14-inch) skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and crumble when cool. Transfer the bacon fat to a bowl and reserve, returning 3 tablespoons to the skillet. Add the onion and both peppers and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is browned and the peppers are softened, 11 to 12 minutes.
Add the potatoes and cook, stirring, until they begin to break up, 6 to 7 minutes. Push the mixture to one side of the skillet, add another tablespoon of bacon fat, and scramble the eggs until cooked. Add the bacon to the pan, stir together the entire mixture, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from America’s Best Breakfasts.