- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar or turbinado sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup candied ginger, chopped finely
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside. Using electric mixer on medium, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy and light, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Add orange juice, zest, ginger and extracts; mix thoroughly to incorporate. Add flour mixture in two additions, beating on low speed just to blend between additions. Fold in minced candied ginger. Cover bowl in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment. Form dough into 1-inch balls, and place at least 1 1/2 inches apart. Use a fork to flatten each ball. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm around edges.