- 1 pound campanelle or orecchiette pasta
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds (about 3 medium) zucchini, trimmed and cut into ⅓-inch-thick slices
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Dash red pepper flakes or hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated pecorino cheese, plus additional for sprinkling
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until its texture becomes al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the pot. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini and sauté until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes; remove from the heat.
Combine the zucchini mixture with the pasta, adding the reserved pasta cooking liquid as needed to moisten. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the pecorino cheese, stirring until melted and ready to serve. Sprinkle on additional cheese for garnish.
– Recipe by Mie Ae Lipe