- 1 cup lacinato kale, washed, stems, ribs removed
- 3 cups rainbow Swiss chard leaves, washed, stems, ribs removed
- 1 small or ½ large green apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ¼ cup dried cherries or cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 heaping teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
About this recipe
Refrigerating the greens before dressing will prevent wilting. Make the salad ahead and add vinaigrette just before serving.
In a large mixing bowl, add Swiss chard. Place kale in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Massage kale until it becomes softened and slightly fragrant (do not overmassage); then add chard. Add apple, dried fruit and pecans and lightly toss. Refrigerate salad while you make dressing. Just before serving, toss salad with dressing.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk shallot and mustard. Add vinegar and whisk to incorporate well. Add salt and pepper. Slowly pour in oil, whisking continuously. If dressing is too thick, whisk in a tiny amount of water. Taste and adjust seasoning.