- 3 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon salt
- 2½ teaspoons whole mustard seed
- 2½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 5 pounds mangos, peeled and chopped, half green and half ripe
- 12 oz. (about 2¼ cups) raisins
- 4 oz. fresh ginger knob, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
In a large pot bring sugar, vinegar, salt and spices to a full boil. Add other ingredients and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Chutney is ready when mangos become translucent and mixture becomes golden brown, about 30-45 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash jars and lids in dishwasher or in boiling water for 10 minutes. Fill jars with hot chutney. Wipe rim and screw threads with clean damp cloth. Add lid, screw band and tighten firmly – do not over-tighten. Put sealed jars in canner and cover with at least 1 inch of boiling water. Boil for 15 minutes. Let cool. Test seals by removing rings. If lid releases, the seal has not formed. Either reprocess with a new lid, or refrigerate and use within a month.