What’s in fashion for spring? Greens, in all shades, plus accents of late-season tomato and pepper reds. Accessorize with quick, healthy dressings that coordinate perfectly. Maria Anselmo has the r...
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped (about ⅔ cups)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (packed), coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 small clove garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- ¼ cup good-quality red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- 2/8 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Measure out ¼ cup of the chopped basil. Chop until fine and set aside. Pulse tomatoes, basil, garlic and shallot in a blender or food processor. Add vinegar, water, salt, pepper and sugar and blend. While machine is running, slowly add oil in a stream and continue to blend until smooth. Transfer dressing to a container and mix in finely chopped basil.