- 1 lb. sashimi-quality tuna, sliced ¼”
- 1 green apple, grated with hand grater, medium size
- 1 yellow pepper, juiced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar
- 5 mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 cilantro sprig, finely chopped
- Sea salt, soy sauce or fish sauce to taste
In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and season with either sea salt, soy sauce or fish sauce depending on the theme. Each will bring out different flavors to enhance the fish.
To serve, arrange slices of raw tuna on the plate and season them with a little soy sauce and lemon juice. Spoon the yellow pepper sauce over the fish and garnish with sea salt, lemon zest and more chili.
Wine pairing: An acidic Basque white wine will do just as well as any Napa Sauvignon Blanc.
Recipe by Chef John Critchley, Area 31, downtown Miami | Serves 4