Dress up your holiday dinner table with these festive plant-based dishes. They’re elegant and filled with flavor.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into large dice, boiled until tender and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small fresh chile pepper or jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bulb smashed, stalk left intact
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (buy in Indian market)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss carrots with oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Roast for 25 to 35 minutes until soft and a bit caramelized. Remove and allow to cool.
Freshly ground black pepper Fresh lime wedges and cilantro leaves for garnish
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger, lemongrass stalk, chili and spices. Cook for another minute. Add vegetable stock, coconut milk and roasted carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 to 22 minutes. Remove lemongrass. Add salt and pepper. Using a stick blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve with lime wedges and cilantro leaves.